- Water – We have some available to buy at our centre before you leave.
- Suncream – Water Reflects 100% of UV light , you can burn easily on a warm day.
- Food – Just a snack for a short journey up to a full picnic for the longer trips
We can arrange this for you. Please click here for our Packed Lunch Menu
- A warm jumper or jacket incase you get wet and cold.
- Make sure you bring a full change of clothes to leave in your vehicle at our centre.
- The safety equipment we issue you with.
- A mobile phone is not essential but is a good idea to take with you. (this is at your own risk and discretion).
- Fish – Barbel, Trout, Leaping Salmon, Pike among many others
- Birds – From Ducks, Swans and Kingfishers to Peregrines, Buzzards, Goshawks etc
There are many Breeding Pairs of Kingfisher along the River Wye and you have a great chance of watching them do a spot of fishing.
- Otters – Rarely sighted but if your quiet you may just be lucky
- Mink – Look like small otters but have a nasty temperament
- Deer – The Fallow Deer that call the forest their home regularly come down to the river to drink
- Bats -long-eared, pipistrelle and nocturne species all call our area home.
- Insects – Bright Coloured Dragon Flys, Grass Hoppers, Crickets
Its not all about how much it costs, safety comes first, if its cheaper its for a reason.
It does not need to cost you more money to be safe, just use the right company! Believe it or not at least 70% of the hire companies operating on the river are not appropriately qualified, and are using non qualified river guides. A first aid qualification is not sufficient to operate safely on the river.
Every company has a duty of care to operate with in HSE guidelines, most companies are not working to these guide lines.
Who’s in Charge!
The overall person in charge of the hire company should be of National Governing Body BCU/WCA membership and be qualified to a minimum of a Level 3 coach/instructor with a endorsed river rescue qualification and /or a 5 Star with a current First aid award.
At our centre all the staff are qualified and overseen by Paul who holds the highest level award/qualification achievable , level 5 Coach, who has trained and assessed many 100s of instructors over his professional career in the sport of canoeing and kayaking.
The reason for the staff qualifications is to be at a minimum standard of knowledge and most importantly experience. To be able to make a sensible judgement on river conditions, correct standards of leadership and able to effect a rescue in the surrounding area quickly and effectively if required, along with safe guarding the sensitive river environment.
For your information – before you look at costs, please make sure the company you are using has the appropriate qualifications and experience to guarantee you a safe trip, there are a lot of hire companies operating on the river that do not have any qualifications or appropriate experience to make safe judgements on the river or effect a quick rescue if needed.
Please ask the questions and look at the qualifications they have and make your own mind up on who you use for safety .
The River Wye Canoe Hire Association,operating and safety protocol.
Please click the link below to read the Protocol.